Shibazakura is Japanese for Moss Pink or Phloxes flowers. The Fuji Shibazakura Matsuri (Festival) is one of the best occasions to witness the beauty of shibazakura. Mt. Fuji is the highest mountain in Japan. Shibazakura in Fiji is a seasonal event that attracts thousands of tourists each year. So what is this festival all about?
1. People come here to behold the vast expanse of red, pink, white and lavender flowers as if laid down like a a carpet over 2.4 hectare of land.
2. The official “festival” takes place from April 20 to June 2, 2013. The blossoms so thoroughly cover the ground that you see only shades of pink, no green, truly creating a floral carpet.
3. May is the season for “shibazakura”, which literally means “cherry lawn” but really refers to the pink carpet created by blooming moss phlox.
4. Shibazakura Hill, a beautiful spring sightseeing spot located in Hitsujiyama Park, overlooks the entire city area of Chichibu.
5. About 400,000 moss phloxes are in full bloom from early in April to early in May on a hill that is approximately 17,600 square meters in size
6. Approximately 1,000 cherry trees, including yoshino cherry, weeping cherry, and double-petal cherry trees, planted in the park, blossom out in April. The moss phloxes and cherry trees serve as colorful harbingers of spring in April.