2. Its extended neck that rises up above its carapace gave it its name'Giraffe' weevil.
2. The male has a neck longer than that of a female.
4. Males use their extended neck to fight for the right to mate with a female.
5. The total body length of the males is just under an inch (2.5 cm), among the longest for any weevil species.
6. The "giraffe beetle tree," (Dichaetanthera arborea) also found only in Madagascar is the host tree of this weevil. It provides both home and diet for the giraffe weevil.
7. These are not dangerous to humans.
8. This species was discovered recently in Madagascar in 2008.