1. 'New Century Global Centre' is the world's largest building that has been constructed in Chengdu, China.
|artificial beach inside the building|
2. Parts of the building were opened to public on June 28, 2013 but the main opening is planned for 22 August 2013.
3. It is a multipurpose building. Nearly 4,300,000 sq ft of the building will be devoted to shopping.
4. The building is 18-story tall and has 1.2 million square feet of floor space. In fact, the new structure so big that it could house three U.S. Pentagons, four Vatican Cities, or 20 Sydney Opera Houses.
|Image from www.nydailynews.com|
5. It will also house offices, conference rooms, a university complex, two commercial centres, hotels, an IMAX cinema, a "Mediterranean village", a pirate ship and skating rink.
6. The centrepiece of the building will be a 54,000 sq ft artificial beach, a giant 150 by 40 m screen will form the horizon and offer sunrises and sunsets. The building will face the Chengdu Contemporary Arts Centre, designed by award-winning British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid.
7. New Century Global Center has two five-star hotels, each offering 1,000 rooms.
8. ‘This is an ocean city built by man,’ Chinese guide Liu Xun told AFP.
9. According to Chinese officials, the New Century Global Center is the largest freestanding building in the world, and took three years to complete.